Welcome to UNIMA Australia!
We are all about supporting and connecting puppetry practitioners and all people interested in puppetry arts in Australia and world-wide.
We do this through our website, projects, events, networking, festivals and an online magazine UNIMA Oz. We also offer scholarships, grants and publications.
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of Australia, and recognise their continuing connection to land, waters and culture as Australia’s first storytellers. We pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging.
Check out our upcoming events. Meeting registration information has been sent out to members. Not a member? Join UNIMA Australia today!
UNIMA Australia was founded in 1970 and incorporated in 2004. An overview of our history is available in our 50th Anniversary edition of UNIMA Oz magazine. The logo was designed by the renowned Australian puppeteer Norman Hetherington, creator of Mr Squiggle.
In 2008, UNIMA Australia hosted the 20th UNIMA Congress and World Puppetry Festival. It was the first time the congress and festival was held in the southern hemisphere.
UNIMA Australia is the Australian branch of UNIMA, the Union Internationale de la Marionnette (International Puppetry Association). UNIMA was established in 1929 and is affiliated to UNESCO. It is also a member of the International Theatre Institute.
Benefits of Membership
As a member, you will be:
• Connected to our puppetry network in Australia and abroad
• Invited to puppetry networking events virtually or in person throughout the year
• Receive the UNIMA Oz online magazine and other UNIMA publications
• Receive member discounts to workshops
• Privy to exciting puppetry job opportunities
• Eligible for UNIMA Australia scholarships
• Invited to submit news, articles and reviews for publications and share your comments and views with our puppetry community
For more information about joining UNIMA Australia or renewing your membership, click here.